CTL is Proud to Offer Chromebooks on the First Book Marketplace
CTL is proud to offer CTL Chromebooks for Education on the First Book Marketplace. First Book is a national charity working to close the educational equality gap by providing books and resources to low-income schools and programs across the United States.
Educational Inequality Facts: Did You Know?
- More than half of U.S. public school students live in low income households.
- In some of the lowest income neighborhoods, there is just one book for every 300 children.
- Two-thirds of children from low-income families lack access to books.
- 79 percent of fourth graders from low-income households do not read proficiently—a key predictor of a child’s future educational and economic success.
- Poor educational outcomes are tied to poverty, unemployment, illness, dependence on welfare, social exclusion and crime.
CTL and First Book Work to Even the Playing Field for Students
CTL and First Book both understand closing the educational equality gap by working to provide important tools and resources to schools and programs. CTL works on 1-to-1 Chromebook initiatives and supports organizations that provide those in need with educational technology tools. For First Book, it’s working to increase interest in reading, to raise reading proficiency levels, and to relieve stress on teachers by expanding access to tools and resources for their students. The impact of First Books reaches far beyond the classroom walls to maximize greater success for students later in life. That is something everyone can get behind.
First Book Makes History One Story at a Time
In 1992, First Book started as a small group of volunteers in a few communities who were dedicated to providing an ongoing supply of books to schools and programs working with children from low-income families. This group of volunteers quickly grew and spread across the U.S. In 1995, First Book became a full-time operation and in 1998, they launched their National Book Bank. The operation was a first of its kind, a centralized distribution system providing large-scale donations from publishers of children’s books to schools and programs. The First National Book Bank now distributes over 8 million books annually.
First Book delivers critical tools to over 150,000 educators and program leaders, partnering with schools, libraries and museums, military families, early childhood programs, shelters and clinics, and afterschool programs. Their steadfast work has earned them a superior four-star rating from Charity Navigator, an independent charity watchdog organization. Even former President Obama and former First-Lady Michelle Obama have begun a partnership through Random House Publishing with First Book.
CTL Chromebooks on the First Book Marketplace
The First Book Marketplace, established in 2008, is an online store for registered programs offering high-quality children’s books listed at a greatly discounted rate. Now included in this marketplace, as the sole provider of laptop devices, you will find CTL models J2, J4+, NL61, and the J5 Rugged Convertible Chromebooks with 2-year warranties included. To learn more about First Book and to visit their online marketplace, visit firstbook.org
Latest posts by Laura Helms (see all)
- CTL J5 Convertible Chromebook is an “ISTE 2017 Best of Show” - July 5, 2017
- J5 Now Featuring a New 360 True Flat Durable Hinge Design - July 3, 2017
- CTL named one of Oregon’s 100 Fastest Growing Private Companies - July 3, 2017